Saturday, April 11, 2009

Report From Oaxaca


Well, it wasn't easy, but as you can see from the photo above I was successful in completing my half of the mission. The souvenir I procured is right up there with some of the worst I've seen. I've included a close-up to give you some idea of just how horrendous it truly is. It's a pen featuring a stereotypical Mexican figure sucking down a shot glass of Mezcal. Notice the distended belly and pumpkin head of the figure and the crude carving of the word Oaxaca that reads from bottom to top. I paid 20 pesos for it, which comes out to about $1.50 US or $2.10 Australian dollars.

The photo was taken at exactly 6:32pm CDT outside of the Santo Domingo cathedral in Oaxaca City. Being Good Friday, we were among the throngs of people gathered to witness the big processional. With about 10 minutes until the appointed time, I began scanning the crowd for animals of any kind. Things were looking grim until I walked around the church and saw a couple relaxing on a curb with their dog. Would they stay long enough? My photographer/wife framed the shot and we waited for an anxious five minutes. Literally seconds after the shot was taken, they stood up and walked away. Whew! Disaster averted!

Immediately after the picture was taken I noticed that many people were purchasing things. I assume that this is a direct result of the effect of GvsG on the global economy. Those that witnessed my strange one-legged pose may have thought it silly… if only they'd known how important it actually was.

4 comments:

  1. I am troubled by this little man's proportions. It looks as though he is segmented like an ant. It also looks like he is playing an invisible clarinette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and hopefully you didn't bring swine flu home with your dirty shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm assuming that you are aware both the S&P 500 and Nasdaq were UP the Monday following this valiant effort. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Very encouraging to see the stock market respond so quickly. We also heard that many people found folded up currency in the pockets of their jeans and jackets. It's only the beginning.

    ReplyDelete