Saturday, September 26, 2009

Southern Hemisphere Spared...Literally

If there is one thing I have learned from this challenge, it's that bowling alleys ain't what they used to be. If Strike Bowling Bar at Fox Studios in Sydney is anything to go by, bowling alleys are now a great place to kick on of a Saturday morning, once your favourite dance club has closed - loud music, video screens everywhere, low lighting, comfortable booths and a bit of smashed food on the carpet. In fact, if it weren't for the hoards of pre-teens tearing around, corralled unsuccessfully by the occasional haggard looking parent/guardian, I would've been tempted to whip my shirt off and have a dance on the nearest table.

Anyway, I arrived at the venue with my video documentarian (a.k.a. my wife) and my stills photographer (our next door neighbour) at 1150. After slipping on our space age bowling shoes (mine on the wrong feet, of course), we proceeded to our lane.


I selected a ball with an 11 on it, representing the equal halves of this challenge. I was also wearing a blue bowling style shirt to mark the occasion.

As the clock ticked over to 1202, my documentarians activated their devices and I propelled my ball down the lane. The release of the ball felt good and my ball-side foot seemed to instinctively swing around behind the other in a classic 'I know what I'm doing here, I bowl all the time' action. Note also the woman in the video clip on the right, seemingly cheering the ball on. It was a charmed moment.


The ball continued straight and true right up to the last, and ultimately felled 7 of the 10 pins.


Mainly to complete the challenge, but also a little bit to celebrate this most unlikely of results, I fell to the floor and busted what could accurately be described as one of the most ungainly backspin of all time. In doing so, I strained at least 5 muscles in my back. Indeed, as I write this, my right hamstring and left hip are still in shock.


Alas, it was discovered after this most physically destructive of challenges that the video taking machine failed in its operation. Thankfully, the trusty camera did its thing and we are able to bring still images to you.

For the statisticians out there, my next ball knocked over the remaining pins, giving me a spare. The next frame also produced a spare, but the following 8 frames saw some of the most mediocre action ever to grace the lanes. I ended up with a total score of 80, but played my part in correcting the earth's spin and thus the time anomaly.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on another successful mission! Good lord that bowling alley looks like a scene from a multi-media extravaganza! It's a wonder that you were able to keep your attention on the task at hand.

    Too bad about the video. I was looking forward to seeing if it was possible to execute a backspin more embarrassing than mine.

    The fact that we both knocked down 7 pins should not go unnoticed. The total of our felled pins was 14 and as we both know, 14 is a square pyramidal number and the only semiprime among all Catalan numbers. This was the best case scenario in our initial calculations. Yes, we've rocked it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest assured, it was a significantly lame backspin. And now, 48 hours later, I'm still feeling its strain.

    And yes, it was a fantastic result.

    Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete