Sunday, June 14, 2009

Strike Two





You'd think that this would be easy. That a reasonably responsible person would be able to execute these tasks with no trouble whatsoever. Apparently, I am not a reasonably responsible person. For the second time in a row I was not able to complete the challenge as assigned.

The making of the Mike was fine, although I did run into a snag with crushed ice as well. The recipe we posted calls for 1 oz. of ice in the top layer. One ounce seemed like an extremely small amount of ice so I did some more research and discovered that the correct measurement is 1 cup of ice! This sent me into a semi-panic as I considered the potential global impact of this crushed ice conundrum. I managed to forge ahead, however, and completed the cocktail with the proper amount of crushed ice with about one minute and 30 seconds until drinking time. At precisely 15:00 PST I took my first sip while sitting out on our gloriously sunny deck. All was well in the world, right? Wrong.

Upon closer inspection of the photo you'll notice that my non-drinking hand is dangling off the arm of the chair, completely oblivious to the fact that it had failed in the modest task which was its charge. WHERE IS THE THING THAT REPRESENTS THE COUNTRY OF THE OTHER GIBSON? Well, I'll tell you where it was. It was sitting on the corner of my bar downstairs. A gorgeous kangaroo scrotum bottle opener, forgotten in the mad rush to get upstairs.

As it turns out, this error was not as grievous as the bus mishap. Our data indicates that the hemispheres have been realigned and directional magnetism has been adjusted. However, until I manage to complete one of these challenges accurately you may notice a nagging sense of malaise and sporadic malfunction in garage door openers. I hope this doesn't inconvenience you too much and I eagerly await the next challenge so that I may attempt to redeem myself for the second time.

4 comments:

  1. Listen. Neither of you are taking this seriously enough. I am sick and tired of this cosmic imbalance and I am sorry I have to rely on such incompetence.
    Both of the glasses were completely incorrect -- look at the picture! The layering was also a significant factor.
    Candace and I spent a whole day scouring the area for the correct glasses.
    Get it together, pleeeeeease!
    Tom and Candace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mom & Dad,
    We understand your frustration and will do everything in our power to conquer the forces that conspire against us in our quest to keep the universe balanced.

    Gibson-OZ and I are well aware of the impact that our failures have had on the cosmos, but rest assured that even as you read this we are redoubling our efforts to see that order is restored before it's too late!

    PS A wise old drunk once said, "Any glass is the right glass as long as it's full of liquor."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment regarding garage doors was really taken to heart. My electrically operated unit has been functioning in a particularly finicky way recently. Basically, it goes about 5/7ths of the way down and then decides to go back up for no apparent reason. The solution so far has been to use the remote to stop the door from returning to the open position just as it "jams" and then hit the button again to give it another shot. Sometimes this procedure has to be done two or three times before I'm able to secure the garage. I'm hoping the G & G scientific analysis and responding corrective measures will resolve this conundrum lest I have to get out a wrench and tighten a spring or some such thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Edge,
    Thanks for your report. We are currently busy gathering data to complete our next challenge. If all goes according to plan your garage door should be fixed. However, there is a slight chance that your garage door will turn into a giant sheet of ice. If that turns out to be the case, we recommend that you throw a party.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete