Saturday, January 30, 2010

Doing My Part for the Bandicoots


You don't really get to know an animal until you try to make it out of a balloon. That is what I discovered on this dreary Saturday morning as I struggled to coax a Greater Bilby (the largest bandicoot) out of a long balloon with a series of pinch twists, double bubbles and lock twists. After creating some five or six mangled mutant animals I eventually ended up with something that vaguely resembled a Greater Bilby. As you can see, I managed to capture the pointy nose and big ears, but the body was a bit awkward. I never did figure out how to get him to stand on his hind legs, so I ended up using a piece of tape to stick him to the table at the coffee shop. Since I was a bit wary of taking photos of the critter at the coffee shop, I snapped the above pic at home before I left with my wife/assistant.



I chose the Neptune Coffee house as my venue since it is within walking distance from our house and seems to be moderately busy at all times of the day. Sure enough, it was about half full of your usual coffee house laptop users and students highlighting things in thick textbooks. I ordered a Morning Glory Chai and a Ginger Twinkle cookie. The barista asked me what I was up to today. I tried to act casual and said, "nothing much." It was a tense moment.

We found a seat and I quickly began writing my note on the napkin. I named my Bilby, Hogan, after the Golden Globe winning actor who played everyone's favorite Australian caricature, Crocodile Dundee! The charity I chose was the Save the Bilby Fund, so if all goes according to plan, ten US dollars will be donated to the cause.



At exactly 2 pm PST, I placed my cup down on the napkin next to the bright orange Bilby and we left immediately with the sounds of "have a nice day" following us out the door. Based on the people around us, I'd say there is not a great chance that the little Bilby will make the postal journey, but who knows? Either way, I did my part which will undoubtedly have a positive effect on our relations with those in the animal kingdom. You may notice that your pets are especially affectionate and you might even have a meaningful encounter with a butterfly or bear.

1 comment:

  1. This afternoon, approximately 4 hours after the challenge time, Hayley and I were in a room with a bunch of people, when a large dragonfly flew in. It hovered around the group for a few seconds, clearly giving us a fond hello and passing on its thanks, before comically smashing itself into the ceiling and flying out the window. It was a special moment.

    Congratulations on your balloon artistry, and on the successful completion of the mission. I particularly like the note lettering.

    ReplyDelete