Sunday, January 31, 2010

Geoduck Deployed

While nowhere near as difficult as a Greater Bilby, balloon Geoduck construction is not for slouches. Sure, the dangly appendage (apparently a siphon for feeding), was a walk in the park, but the shell proved tricky. Ultimately, I constructed a 'cage' around the coiled body of the Geoduck, simulating a shell. I only broke 1 balloon in the construction process, though the inflation was a feat in itself.



With 30 minutes to go before the challenge, my assistants and I made our way to the Sparrow cafe in Bondi, where we enjoyed coffee and fresh juices while waiting for GMT 2200 (0900 local time). The only person to give any notice to my phallic-shaped animal likeness was a small child, who laughed at the colour scheme, of all things. Clearly, the little fella was angling to get his mits on the beast, but I was going to leave that in the lap of the gods.

While sipping a lovely cap, I penned the note. I named the Geoduck Holmes - a nod to its human likeness.



At precisely 0900, having already paid for our beverages, I finished the remains of my cap, placed the note and the Geoduck on the table (anchoring them against the wind), and vacated the premises. As we were walking away, a waitress was heard to say 'What's this?' before a slight pause, and then 'Oh, that makes sense.' I can only surmise that the importance of the event was somehow communicated to her by osmosis.

1 comment:

  1. My, that's quite a siphon you've got there! I'm glad you didn't choose pink.

    ReplyDelete